Frequently Asked Questions

  • What types of insulation do you use?
    • The standard materials that we use are Aerobord Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), Rockwool stone wool and Kingspan phenolic insulation.

  • What thickness of insulation used?
    • The finished thickness of insulation and render will usually be about 130mm (or just over five inches).  However this can range from MM to MM.

  • What finishes are available?
    • Our standard finishes include high performance synthetic renders in various textures, with a wide range of colours to choose from. Other options available include dashed and scraped renders as well as brick and stone finishes.

  • Is the system NSAI approved?
    • The Baumit system is approved under NSAI Agrément Certificate 09/0336. Also our Approved Installers are individually certified and audited by NSAI and registered with SEAI.

  • What U value is achieved?
    • Our standard system meets the SEAI requirement of a U value of 0.27 for retrofit. Even higher performing systems can be supplied to meet individual client requirements. We have supplied several ‘passive house’ systems with U value as low as 0.10.

  • What will it cost?
    • Of course everyone’s home is different and our Approved Installer will be pleased to carry out a survey and prepare an individual quotation, but these are the typical amounts you can expect to pay, depending on the size of your home:

      • 2 bed terraced house: €6,000 to €9,000
      • 3 bed semi-detached: €12,000-€15,000
      • 4 bed semi-detached: €15,000-€18,000
      • Detached bungalow: From €15,000
      • Detached house: From €20,000

      All the above costs are before deducting any Government grant support – currently cash grant value as follows:

      External wall insulation Grants

      • Apartment/mid Terrace - €2,750
      • House Semi-Detached/end Terrace - €4,500
      • Detached House - €6000

      Additional grants are available for multiple measure including heating boilers and controls upgrades, attics and solar.

  • How long does the job take and is there much disruption?
    • Depending on the size of the house, work will typically be completed in two to three weeks. All work is done outside and our Approved Installers take great care to ensure there is minimum disruption and that everything is left neat and tidy.

  • What happens around my windows?
    • It is essential that window reveals and sills and are dealt with correctly to ensure that cold bridging is avoided. Window reveals are cut back where necessary and covered with an insulation layer. Existing window sills are cut back, covered with insulation and finally a powder coated aluminium oversill is fitted. Colour can be selected to meet client requirements.

  • How do you deal with existing pipes and services?
    • All pipework is extended and returned back into the existing outlets. All other connections (electricity, gas, TV) are dealt with in accordance with the guidelines issued by the utility companies.

  • What happens at plinth level?
    • A moisture resistant board is fitted to protect the insulation system at ground level.

  • I have little or no eaves overhang to work with, can my home be externally insulated?
    • Yes it can. An aluminium profile is used to protect the top of the external wall insulation system where there is not enough eaves overhang to cover the system at that point.