Better Energy Homes Grant Scheme
The Irish Government scheme known as the Better Energy Homes is an incentive which gives fixed grants for insulation and heating system upgrades which is helping you to make your home more comfortable and cheaper to run and improving your living comfort, and also helping the environment with the reduction in carbon emissions.
The Better Energy Homes grants are available to all owners of homes built before 2006.
The objectives of the scheme are to:
- Support home owners in making intelligent choices to improve the energy performance of their home
- Reduce energy use, costs and greenhouse gas emissions
- Build market capacity and competence by driving contractor standards and quality
- Stimulating market innovation
The incentive is in the form of cash grants are fixed, irrespective of home size, though where actual expenditure is lower than the grant value only the lower amount will be paid. Payment is by Electronic Funds Transfer to the applicant’s bank.
There are two ways to apply for a better energy homes grant
- Online: For immediate approval - this is the link https://hes.seai.ie/MeasureRecommendations/MeasureRecommendations.aspx
- By Post: If you rather you can fill out a paper form below and send it to SEAI offices.
You will receive your grant offer within 5 working days. Grant offers will be issued to the address of the home being upgraded. You will have 30 days in which to return your acceptance of the grant offer. If you do not, your grant offer will cancel and you will have to re-apply. You can download a form or call SEAI s at 1850 927000 to get a form posted out.
Before you apply please note the following:
- The grant is only eligible for homes built before 2006
- Grant approval must be in place before works commence
- Grant works must be completed to SEAI standards by a SEAI registered contractor
- Grant works, including a published BER, must be completed and paperwork submitted to SEAI within six months of the grant offer
Grants are available for the following works which must be completed by a registered SEAI contractor:
Energy Efficiency Grant Value Wall – External Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace House €2,250 Semi-detached OR End of Terrace €3,400 Detached House €4,500 Heating System Heating Controls with Boiler (Oil or Gas) Upgrade €700 Heating Controls Upgrade only €600 Solar Heating €1,200 Bonus For 3rd measure €300 Bonus For 4th measure €100 BER Building Energy Rating (BER) €50
The following should be noted:
Cash grants are a set value based on 30% of average cost of works. If expenditure is below this set value, only the actual expenditure will be reimbursed.
A Building Energy Rating (BER) must be undertaken on the home after grant aided works have been completed. A homeowner is entitled to BER funding of €50 once per home and cannot be counted toward a bonus.
A SEAI registered contractor must be used to install grant aided measures.